Columbia University is offering free Online Data Analytics Degree in Python. The goal of this course is to introduce learners to the basics of programming in Python and to give a working knowledge of how to use programs to deal with data.
Columbia University is one of the world’s most important centers of research and at the same time a distinctive and distinguished learning environment for undergraduates and graduate students in many scholarly and professional fields. The University recognizes the importance of its location in New York City and seeks to link its research and teaching to the vast resources of a great metropolis.
In this course, applicants will learn the fundamental of programming in Python and develop the ability to analyze data and make data-driven decisions. The course will start on 22 May 2017.
|Course Length||:||12 Weeks|
|Course Effort||:||8-10 Hours pw|
|Providers||:||Columbia University, New York and edx|
|Course Level||:||Online Degree|
|Field of Study||:||Business & Management|
About This Course
Data is the lifeblood of an organization. Competency in programming is an essential skill for successfully extracting information and knowledge from data.
The goal of this course is to introduce learners to the basics of programming in Python and to give a working knowledge of how to use programs to deal with data.
Why Take This Course?
In this course, University will first cover the basics of programming and then focus on using Python on the entire data management process from data acquisition to analysis of data big data and small data. This is an intensive hands-on course that will equip and reward learners with proficiency in data management skills.
Outcomes from this course
- Become familiar with working with relational databases, using SQL based languages such as MySql, dealing with formatted data (XML, JSON, etc.)
- Use Python to work with and analyze data from databases as well as from the web
- Use Big Data processing frameworks like Hadoop and MapReduce
Hardeep has a Ph.D. in Information Systems from the Stern School of Business, New York University, is a Fellow of the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta, and has an M.A. in Economics from the Birla Institute of Technology and Science in Pilani, India.
Prior exposure to some programming language is helpful but not necessary.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)